Doc 2 DMCWNY
THE DARK MOON CHALLENGE for the WITCH’S NEW YEAR
October 25, 2022
Theme: Prepare the Soil—It’s Planting Day
Ancient people saw magic
everywhere. There’s plenty of evidence
to suggest that they shared an animistic
world view, the belief that everything
In earlier times, the natural cycles of growth and decay were the most notable features of life. In modern neopaganism, we reclaim this world view. Our ‘Wheel of the Year” marks times to plant, nurture, harvest, and rest. If we look at farming as a metaphor for the new moon ‘seed-planting’ of intentions, then the health of the soil symbolizes the medium for holding and nourishing your seeds. Integrity is important to the health of the soil,
Please don’t misunderstand me. This is not about becoming a goodie-two-shoes or a better rule follower. Integrity goes much, much deeper than living up to some external standard of ‘goodness.’ Use the following visualization and questionnaire to get ready. Your seed planting instructions are at the end,
Energy Exercise 1
Sit or lie in any position you choose, but make sure your spine is straight. Relax as much as you possible can.
Now, imagine that you can reach down into the center of the earth and pull up the energy from the molten core. Imagine bringing it all the way up to your tailbone. Let it flow up through your spine all the way to the crown of your head. Now send it out into the universe, and allow the celestial energy of the universe to flow back down into you from your crown, through your spine, all the way to the center of the earth.
Cycle the energies from earth and sky as you continue to relax. Experience yourself as part of the energy flow between heaven and earth.
Turn back the clock. Remember what it was like to be a child. See if a specific experience comes to mind. If not, create an imaginary scene that represents your childhood relationship with ‘being in trouble.’
Get as real and as sensory as you can. See if you can remember sounds, smells, sights, sensations of touch or taste. You probably didn’t have the word ‘integrity’ in your vocabulary. That’s okay. Use the feelings you have about it now as a lens for looking back.
BTW, on a personal note, I’m noticing that my childhood relationship with integrity was quite unhealthy, so don’t be afraid to get real with this.
Don’t worry about getting the answers exactly ‘right.’ Work with what you get. If you can’t fill in every question right off the bat, sit with the blanks and see what comes to you later.
1. When I read or hear the word ‘integrity’ If feel
d. Something Else, namely, __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
2. Some of us got away with a lot as kids, and others were strictly raised and closely supervised. Do you think you have an overactive conscience, did your upbringing make you too cavalier, or did you get lucky and land in the Goldilocks spot where it’s ‘just right?”______
3. It has been said that integrity is how you behave when no one is watching, and you know you won’t get caught. On a scale of 1-10, how would you rate your integrity? ________________
4. Do you wrestle with intense feelings of shame, regret, or blame? (We’ll work with this tomorrow)
5. I was taught that you can’t get to transformation without going through integrity. It’s the gateway to joy and the foundation of a life well lived. What’s your response to this assertion?
Sound is vibration, and language is sound. “In the beginning was the Word…and the Word was God.” Keeping your word and being the kind of person whose promises you can take to the bank, these are the hallmarks of integrity.
Seed Planting Instructions
- Have you chosen your intention(s) from the brainstorming list in the prep questionnaire? If not, take a few minutes to choose one, two, or three ‘seeds’ from your aims for the 2023 harvest.
- Timing ~ The moon is considered new for 24 hours before and 24 hours after it reaches 0 degrees illumination. This means that you can plant them anytime today. We’re not fundamentalists. As long as you do your ‘seed planting’ before the end of the day on Tuesday, you’re golden.
- This can be imaginary, or you can symbolize it with real seeds and soil if you want.
- In your mind’s eye or in real life, dig down into some dark, rich, soil and plant as many seeds as you want. They represent the harvest you want to bring to fruition in the coming year. You can spend as much or as little time on this as you like.
- When you feel complete about planting your seeds, relax and let go. There may be action steps you need to take. Do so in an easy-going style, and forget about manifesting your intention as much as possible.
- You have transferred your desire into the seeds and soil. Don’t keep digging up your seeds to see if they’ve sprouted. Let nature do her work.
Here’s a good article about tapping into the power of the eclipse. If you want to follow these instructions instead or in addition, please feel free. This piece makes an especially valuable point about using astrology to take responsibility for your life.